Are you spending a fortune on buying remedies and supplements to keep you healthy? Have you considered making your own nutritional remedy that is specific to your own unique needs, or that of your family and ensuring all needs are met? I am going to share with you an incredible recipe that you can shape to your needs that will improve nutritional status and HEAL underlying deficiencies and existing health issues. In doing this you will not only save yourself a tonne of cash but have complete control over the quality of the ingredients in the final product and make a product that is rich in EVERYTHING the body needs. As it happens, research has shown there isn’t much good coming out of readily available supplements (in fact many are toxic!) and taking this back into your own hands is a very wise thing to do and easier than you might think.
The superfood powder that you will create can be used to boost just about any food but I like to recommend making a smoothie which is an ideal way to deliver the elements from the powder as well as quality fats and other beneficial fresh ingredients such as a handful of kale, consider making this into icy-poles for the kids.
The basics for any superfood powder blend is equal parts of the following: (source organic powders and herbs from Austral Herbs) NB this base is suitable for children from 2+
- blueberries ground into powder (see amazing research here)
- rosehips ground into powder (antioxidant)
- broccoli powder (antioxidant)
- dulse (minerals)
- ashwaganda powder (Indian ginseng)
- hemp protein powder (quality fat and protein source)
- camu or acerola powder (vitamin C and antioxidants)
- acai powder (antioxidants)
- alfalfa powder (antioxidant)
- chlorella powder (cellular cleansing and minerals, use half the amount)
- beetroot powder (anitoxidant)
- green tea powder OR use green tea as the base for the smoothie
- chicory root powder (prebiotic)
- burdock root powder (cleansing support)
- reishi powder (immune support)
- rhodiola or rose root powder (adrenal, mood and nervous system support)
When making a smoothie consider using the following organic items in addition to promote balance and improved flavour:
- quality fats: coconut, nut butter, avocado, chia, flax ground freshly, soaked nuts or seeds, hemp seeds
- flavours: vanilla, cacao, carob, essential oils such as peppermint, cinnamon etc
- sweetener: stevia, erythritol, raw local honey if tolerated OR a piece of 1/2 cup of frozen fruit, berries are best
- probiotic: a broad spectrum powder such as the Custom Probiotics 11 strain or D-lactate Free if you are dealing with a gut issue, these can be sourced through GPA Wholefoods online.
In addition to the above base formula, consider adding elements that are specific to your needs such as the following herbs which can be sourced in powdered or leaf/root/flower form. If in anything other than powder you will need to steep or boil them before adding them to your smoothie, method below:
Adrenals: ashwaganda, cordyceps, maca, reishi, rhodiola, licorice, siberian ginseng, rehmmania, schizandra, tulsi
Thyroid: bladderwrack, coleus, gotu kola, ashwaganda, licorice, mushrooms, rhodiola
Immune: astragalus, cordyceps, reishi, shitake, garlic, ginger, turmeric
Liver: dandelion, globe artichoke, milk thistle, turmeric, yellow dock
Digestion: marshmallow, slippery elm, aloe, licorice, cinnamon, cayenne, pau d’arco
To prepare herbs, simmer 1-7 tbsp of herbs in 400ml of water for 20 minutes or more to release maximum amounts of active constituents and minerals then cool before adding remaining smoothie ingredients OR you can simply steep the herbs until cool.
Use 1-3 tbsp of superfood powder and 1-3 tbsp of herbs per serve and be amazed at how well you feel. I suggest starting with just a small amount and gradually building from there.